|DodgeRam.org > Main > Diesel Index > 2nd Gen Trouble > Manifold Heater repair|
Information & Diagnostics 12 Valve Heater R&R 24 Valve Heater R&R Heater Relay R&R (both)
Manifold Heater Removal / Replacement - 12 Valve Engines 1994 - 1998
12 Valve Intake Heater
The intake manifold air heater assembly (with
(1) Disconnect both negative battery cables at both batteries.
(2) Remove the engine oil dipstick tube mounting bracket bolt at the side of the intake manifold
(3) Remove the two cable nuts and remove cables at the air heater electrical studs.
(4) Remove the five bolts retaining the upper half of the intake manifold to the lower half of
the intake manifold.
(5) Position the intake manifold and manifold connecting tube to the side.
(6) Remove the air heater from the intake manifold.
(7) Clean the mating surfaces of the air heater and intake manifold.
(8) Install a new lower and upper gasket to the air heater.
(9) Position the air heater to the intake manifold.
(10) Install and tighten five bolts to the intake manifold. Tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 N•m) torque.
(The ground cable for the air heater is connected to one of the intake manifold bolts).
(11) Connect the two cables to the air heater.
Manifold Heater Removal / Replacement - 24 Valve Engines 1998 - 2002
The 2 intake manifold air heater elements are attached to a metal block located at the
top of the intake manifold (See Ram Cummins Intake Manifold Heater Parts). If either
of the heater elements is bad, the entire block/element assembly must be replaced.
|(1) Disconnect the heater relay feed from the driver's side battery.
(2) Disconnect clamp from rubber hose at air intake housing.
(3) Disconnect rubber hose at air intake housing.
(4) Remove engine oil dipstick tube mounting bolt
|(5) Disconnect heater electrical cables at cable mounting studs|
|(6) Disconnect ground cable bolt and ground cable from housing.|
|(7) Remove 4 housing bolts
(8) Remove air intake housing from top of heater elements.
(9) Remove heater element assembly from intake manifold.
(10) Clean old gasket material from air intake housing and intake manifold.
(11) Clean old gasket material from both ends of heater block
|(1) Using 2 new gaskets, replace element and air housing on
(2) Position ground cable to air housing.
(3) Install 4 housing bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 N·m).
(4) Connect heater cables at cable mounting studs Do not allow the cable eyelets to contact any other
metal source other than the cable nuts/studs.
(5) Install engine oil dipstick tube and mounting bolt.
(6) Connect rubber hose to air intake housing.
(7) Connect clamp to rubber hose at air intake housing.
(8) Connect the heater relay feed from the driver's side battery.
Manifold Heater Relay Removal / Replacement - All Engines 1994 - 2002
1994 - 2002 Ram Manifold Heater Relay Parts / Location
1 - Battery & Tray - Driver's side
The mounting bracket and both relays are replaced as an assembly.
|(1) Service Manual says: "Disconnect both negative battery
cables at both batteries."
Note: It's easier to just disconnect the relay power feed
wires from the driver's side positive battery terminal.
(2) Find the Manifold Heater Relay located on the fender
(3) Lift four rubber shields from all 4 power cables and
(4) Disconnect four relay trigger wires at both relays. Note
(5) Remove three relay mounting bracket bolts and remove relay assembly. (3/8" wrench or deepwell socket)
(6) Install the relay assembly to the inner fender. Tighten the
(7) Connect the eight electrical connectors to the relays.
(8) Connect battery cables to both batteries or connect the relay feed to the drivers side battery terminal.
(9) Don't forget to test everything - occasionally you will get a new bad part.
Last edit to this page: March 7, 2008