|24 Valve Operation & Maintenance
Recommendations from Cummins Bulletin #
- Fuel Filter should be change every other oil change -- 15,000 miles
- 1998.5-1999 models Fleetguard FS19528
Cummins 3931476 Dodge 04883963AB
- 2000+ models Fleetguard
FS1268 Cummins 3931470
- Fuel additives are not required when using commercially available low sulfur
#2 diesel or #1 / #2 winter blend diesel fuels.
- A biocide or fungicide used once in the spring and once in the fall will
help prevent slime. If you get a load of bad fuel that contains water, treat
the tank with a biocide for several fuel fills.
Starting after an extended shutdown period (parked for more than 30
- Engine oil pressure MUST be indicated on the fuel gauge within 15 seconds
after startup. If oil pressure does not appear, consult Chrysler or Cummins
before driving the truck.
- Idle the engine for 3 to 5 minutes before loading the engine.
- DO NOT USE ETHER as a starting aid in cold weather. The intake manifold
heater may ignite the ether in the manifold and cause an explosion.
Idle / Warm-up / Cool-down
- Idling for longer than 15 minutes should be avoided.
- Do not operate at full speed or load until the coolant reaches normal operating
- Do not operate above low idle until oil pressure is indicated.
- After extended high power operation, idle the engine for 3-5 minutes to
cool the turbocharger before shutting down the engine.
- No adjustment is required. Check valve clearance at 150,000 miles.
- Inspect the vibration damper for deformation at 60,000 miles / 2 years
Charge Air Cooler and Intake System
- At each oil change, check all intake hoses and clamps for cracks and loose
Fan idler pulley, hub, and belt tensioner
- Visual Inspection is required at 30,000 miles / 1 year.
- check coolant level every 15,000 miles / 6 months
- Drain and Flush system every 60,000 miles / 2 years
- Refill the overflow bottle with a 50/50 antifreeze mix.
- Always use Heavy Duty Coolant with low dissolved solids level (low silicate,
- DO NOT USE automotive coolant.
- SCA is not required - the parent bore block is not subject to cavitation
- Oil Drain Interval, normal service - 7500 miles / 6 months
- Oil Filter - Cummins 3937211, Fleetguard LF3885, Dodge
05016547AA, Case J934430
- Replace the oil filter at each oil change.
- API CE/SG 15W40 is the minimum recommendation.
- CF4/SJ is the current API specification.
- Cummins Premium Blue recommended for most conditions
- Cummins Premium Blue 2000 synthetic blend recommended for extended cold
- For ambient temperatures consistently below -13F (-25C), a semi-synthetic
or full synthetic oil is recommended. Make sure it meets the API spec!
- Supplemental oil additives are not required and should not be used. The
additive packages in an oil can be upset by aftermarket additives. Use a quality
oil and avoid "snake oil".
- Oil analysis, as a method to extend the drain intervals, is NOT recommended.
Different methods of measuring soot and lack of correlation among testing
labs may provide false confidence in extended drain intervals. Change the
oil at the recommended interval and use oil analysis only as a check for trouble.
If you came here from a link or search engine and wish to look
Go to the INDEX page
Last Update: September 27, 1999